>

KALYAN MUKHOPADHYAY





Songsoptok


SONGSOPTOK: «Belief is simple acceptance that a proposition is true, without regard to reason(s) while faith is the acceptance of a proposition rather than an epistemological (evidence-based) reason.” Does this reflect your understanding of the two words? If so, why? If not, then how would you distinguish between the two?

KALYAN: I think you are right. To me belief is acceptance without questioning. Hence belief is always blind. While faith is also about acceptance, it usually follows a stream of events – a journey that gives birth to faith. While belief is a individualistic,  origin of faith is usually within a group or a section of the society.


SONGSOPTOK: Each person can inherit, adopt or construct her own set of beliefs and faiths, or it is a combination of the two. How would you qualify your own personal set? Were your faiths and beliefs handed down to you by someone? Who? Or were they acquired? If so, how?

KALYAN:  Faith and belief are two very intertwined concepts. I have inherited a few beliefs from the family I was born in and the society in which I grew up. A few beliefs have been instilled in me by my wife and her family. Faith? – I have faith in love and the immense power of love. This I have acquired from Rabindranath Tagore. 


SONGSOPTOK: In your own personal sphere, do you consider worship as a religious act involving rites, rituals or other types of practices? Or is it related to something that transcends religion? Can you explain your position with some examples?

KALYAN: Worshipping is no longer about religion. It has become synonymous with rites, rituals and celebrations ...  fueled by an all-encompassing consumerist economy – that is what worshipping appears to me today.  Worshipping that was about praying had its roots in fear.  Scared men and women wanted to please someone or somebody – seen or unseen – to get something or achieve something. Religious folklores are rife with stories about getting back a husband or son – about satisfying an angry being (read God) – and that became a trend. Can religion be about personal gains?


SONGSOPTOK:  “Faith takes over where reason leaves off” – do you agree? Can you explain your point of view?

KALYAN: No – I don’t agree with that. I don’t think that faith in certain things are born because they couldn’t be explained with reason. Rather, I believe that blind faith sows its seeds in human minds when one closes the doors and windows of the mind and decides not to listen to reason . I reemphasize that to me faith is blind. If I have faith in someone - I will tend to accept him or her whole-heartedly, unquestioning, will assume he or she is always right.


SONGSOPTOK: Did you ever face a conflict between your beliefs, reason and knowledge? How do you react to such situations?

KALYAN: No. There has never been any conflict between my faith and reason – since I don’t believe in blind faith. Whenever my beliefs have clashed with reason – I have forgone the belief in favor of rationality.


SONGSOPTOK: Are you a believer? What do you believe in?

KALYAN: I believe in letting people speak, respecting humanity, being tolerant to conflicting views  – my beliefs are really very simple. I don’t believe that a man deserves respect simply due to his age or seniority. I really don’t believe in rigidity of any sorts nor do I have very rigid viewpoints.


SONGSOPTOK: Do you think that it is essential to convince and convert others to your own system of beliefs and faiths? Why? Can you please describe the reasons for your answer?

KALYAN: No. I personally do not believe in breaking other’s beliefs or reforming others. I accept that I am not a Ishwar Chandra Vidyasagar or a Raja Rammohun Roy. I would rather devote myself to some creative activities during that time for my own peace and joy.


SONGSOPTOK: Do you think that each individual has some form of faith or belief, whether related to religion or not? If yes, then what do you think are the main reasons?

KALYAN::  Of course! Humans are all about faith and beliefs. A man who only believes in reason also shows blind faith towards rationality.


SONGSOPTOK: “A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.” said C.S. Lewis. Do you agree with this view? Or do you think that some form of worship is indispensable for humans? Why?

KALYAN: I whole-heartedly agree with Lewis.  I say a vehement NO to any form of worship. I don’t believe in the existence of an Almighty. How can I worship anybody whose existence even I can’t imagine! In my hey days I worshipped pretty women at the pandals more than the Goddess herself. My attraction towards “Prasad” was much more than the Puja. I enjoyed the celebrations. I have spent 52 years without caring for the Almighty – with little regard to rites and rituals. I love life, I love people – and that is my greatest strength. God also knows the power of love! When one is strong from within, one does not need to worship to please any unknown being.


SONGSOPTOK: You may or may not choose to answer this – but nevertheless we would like to know who do you worship? Why do you worship? How do you worship? And above all, in what way does it help you in your everyday life?

KALYAN: Since you have asked, I shall reply. I worship my love – no not as a Goddess - as a simple human being.  I offer  her my services through a hot cup of coffee when she is back home after a long day at office –I tend to her favorite cactii - I take care of her, I respect her. My prayers are nothing but songs of love.



KALYAN: A Master IN Physics - An IPS officer by profession - ageed 52 (on the rising side). Life to him is about endless fun and joy.

We sincerely thank you for your time and hope we shall have your continued support.
Aparajita Sen

(Editor: Songsoptok)

Comments
1 Comments

1 comment:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree with Lewis. I say a vehement NO to any form of worship. I don’t believe in the existence of an Almighty. How can I worship anybody whose existence even I can’t imagine! In my hey days I worshipped pretty women at the pandals more than the Goddess herself. My attraction towards “Prasad” was much more than the Puja. I enjoyed the celebrations. I have spent 52 years without caring for the Almighty – with little regard to rites and rituals. I love life, I love people – and that is my greatest strength. God also knows the power of love! When one is strong from within, one does not need to worship to please any unknown being.

    A lot many congrats Kalyandaa for d Bold n true , open comments After spending around a decade in Karnataka, I feel,the reason why Bengalees r reckoned, respected n adored is their boldness about religious stigmas. When others do pujas , they pujas mainly, while we do socialize more n engage in beauty parades than paying homage to Gods . It remains a shame to see lynching of octogenarian Hindu priest / teacher / professor in Bangladesh, where Hassina govt fears not hanging the massacre-renegades of 1971 war, all d Pak-favored war criminals are being hanged in chain.

    One astonishes to ask, what is faith? what is belief? In Congress, Faith is to a family , in TMC faith is to a lady, in AIDMK , faith is towards a lady only; in BSP, same--to a lady ; in RJD-SP, to 2 respective families; in DMK again it is to 1 family; now in BJP also ,faith means loyalty to Modi-Shah combine only. All the blind supporters gradually lose reasons for supporting a cause.

    ca aninda ghosh,9449879188

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.