>

MARY L. PALERMO

SongSoptok | 2/15/2016 |



THE LAST DOLLAR

It was glittering and gleaming
This palace of pleasure
Delta Downs stood grandly
Lady luck was her treasure

It was my first time trip
Across our country line
To the shores of Louisiana
And it winning smile signs

So innocent and hopeful was I
That bright day
When I learned the word gamble
And be careful or you pay

Lined like polished jewels
How those slot machines shined
The tinkle of their tokens
winnings would be mine

With my humble investment
I sat upon this black topped stool
Having absolutely
No idea of what to do

Buttons here and there
To multiply bets that were spun
I just put in coin after coin
Thinking wow this is fun!

But minutes turned into seconds
When it finally dawned on me
That the chance of winning big
Was about as impossible as could be

So I was down to my last dollar
When responsibility filled my head
I prayed to the man above
How I cried and how I plead

If you just let me break even
I  will never come back again
To this flashing castle
With all its deadly sin

So I dropped in that last dollar
Played the maximum beat
When to my amazed surprise
The sevens lined up as I wept

Maybe it was lady luck and chance?
Or the honesty of my prayer
But I took it as a sign from heaven
And that stool sits forever bare

MARY L. PALERMO

COPYRIGHT JANUARY 2016


Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.