>

RUMA CHAKRAVARTI

SongSoptok | 5/15/2015 |




THE BRIDE
RABINDRANATH TAGORE

‘The hour grows late, come let us go get the water!’
Someone calls from afar, in that timeless tune,
Where is that companion I yearn to see, where is that river!
Where are those steps, under the Peepul tree!
I was in a trance, all alone by myself,
When someone seemed to whisper, ‘Let us go to the river’

With the pitcher balanced on my hip, along the winding path
On my left the fields go on forever,
While on the right bamboo groves lean ever closer
The dark water of the lake sparkles in the twilight
Dense woods on either side hide in shade.
I let myself float gently in the deep still water
As a cuckoo calls from the banks, its tones so tender
As I return, above the darkened treetops I see
A sudden glow as the rising moon paints the sky

An old fig climbs where the bricks have given way,
That is where each morning I used to go first.
In autumn the earth sparkles with dew drops,
And oleander hangs in scented clusters.
The wall is covered all over by green climbing vines
Bejeweled in purple bloom.
I place my eye at a crack and watch from this side,
My veil forgotten, about my feet.

Field after field, beyond them all
Where a faraway village seems to nudge the sky.
Over here there lie ancient green palm groves
Standing in ranks close to each other.
The lake appears like a gleam in the distance,
The cowherds gather on its banks in friendly banter.
I do not know where the path is going to go,
Perhaps passing on the way many strange lands

Where the cities are built of foreboding stone.
And a giant fist oppresses with all its might,
An anxious young girl without any pity in sight!
Where are those open fields, those avenues broad,
Where is the clear birdsong, by shaded forest roads!

Who are these that stand so close?
I feel so constrained, for fear they should listen.
These are useless tears that are stopped by the wall
And come back to me.

No one understands why I shed these tears,
In amazement they all search for reasons.
‘Why are you never happy, this is your great fault!
This is the way of these simple village folk.
All her people are constantly around her,
‘Why does she still insist on closing her eyes?’

Some look at her face, some at her limbs
Some say it is good, some nothing at all.
I have come to sell this flower garland,
Everyone judges it but there is little love.

I wander alone, in the midst of them all.
How will I spend my time all day!
Brick upon dour brick, peopled by insects of men,
They know not love, they do not love play.

Where are you, dearest mother of mine,
how have you forgotten me so well!
When the new moon rises, I will sit upon the terrace
Will you tell me no more stories of the times of the past!
In sadness lying on an empty bed
I know how you spend the night in sleepless wait,
in the morning to the temple with flowers you go
to seek blessings for this daughter living far away.

Here too the moon rises above the houses at night,
here too each door is touched by moonlight.
It has been seeking me in countries far and wide,
As if it wants to me purely out of love.
That is why I forget myself for a moment of carelessness
Running to the door to see who it is that waits outside.
Immediately there are eyes that are watchful,
Discipline raises its angry head.

They will not give me love, nor lighten my day.
It always seems to be as dark as night.
But the water calls me to her inky cool breast,
It is better to seek death in her depth.
Call everyone, let us call them to come,
‘The day passes us by, let us go fetch some water.’
When will the day end and all games cease,
when will the hurts of life be soothed by that water so cool,
if anyone should know, please tell me.

[TRANSLATED FROM THE ORIGINAL
BY RUMA CHAKRAVARTI]


বধূ
রবীন্দ্রনাথ ঠাকুর

বেলা যে পড়ে এল, জলকে চল্!”–
পুরানো সেই সুরে কে যেন ডাকে দূরে,
কোথা সে ছায়া সখী, কোথা সে জল!
কোথা সে বাঁধা ঘাট, অশথ-তল!
ছিলাম আনমনে একেলা গৃহকোণে,
কে যেন ডাকিল রেজলকে চল্

কলসী লয়ে কাঁখে পথ সে বাঁকা -
বামেতে মাঠ শুধু সদাই করে ধুধু,
ডাহিনে বাঁশবন হেলায়ে শাখা
দিঘির কালো জলে সাঁঝের আলো ঝলে,
দু ধারে ঘন বন ছায়ায় ঢাকা
গভীর থির নীরে ভাসিয়া যাই ধীরে,
পিক কুহরে তীরে অমিয়-মাখা
পথে আসিতে ফিরে, আঁধার তরুশিরে
সহসা দেখি চাঁদ আকাশে আঁকা

অশথ উঠিয়াছে প্রাচীর টুটি,
সেখানে ছুটিতাম সকালে উঠি
শরতে ধরাতলে শিশিরে ঝলমল,
করবী থোলো থোলো রয়েছে ফুটি
প্রাচীর বেয়ে বেয়ে সবুজে ফেলে ছেয়ে
বেগুনি-ফুলে-ভরা লতিকা দুটি
ফাটলে দিয়ে আঁখি আড়ালে বসে থাকি,
আঁচল পদতলে পড়েছে লুটি

মাঠের পরে মাঠ, মাঠের শেষে
সুদূর গ্রামখানি আকাশে মেশে
ধারে পুরাতন শ্যামল তালবন
সঘন সারি দিয়ে দাঁড়ায় ঘেঁষে
বাঁধের জলরেখা ঝলসে যায় দেখা,
জটলা করে তীরে রাখাল এসে
চলেছে পথখানি কোথায় নাহি জানি,
কে জানে কত শত নূতন দেশে

হায় রে রাজধানী পাষাণ-কায়া!
বিরাট মুঠিতলে চাপিছে দৃঢ়বলে,
ব্যাকুল বালিকারে নাহিকো মায়া!
কোথা সে খোলা মাঠ, উদার পথঘাট,
পাখির গান কই, বনের ছায়া!

কে যেন চারি দিকে দাঁড়িয়ে আছে,
খুলিতে নারি মন শুনিবে পাছে
হেথায় বৃথা কাঁদা, দেয়ালে পেয়ে বাধা
কাঁদন ফিরে আসে আপন-কাছে

আমার আঁখিজল কেহ না বোঝে,
অবাক্ হয়ে সবে কারণ খোঁজে
কিছুতে নাহি তোষ, তো বিষম দোষ
গ্রাম্য বালিকার স্বভাব যে
স্বজন প্রতিবেশী এত যে মেশামেশি,
কেন কোণে বসে নয়ন বোজে?”
কেহ বা দেখে মুখ কেহ বা দেহ;
কেহ বা ভালো বলে, বলে না কেহ
ফুলের মালাগাছি বিকাতে আসিয়াছি,
পরখ করে সবে, করে না স্নেহ

সবার মাঝে আমি ফিরি একেলা
কেমন করে কাটে সারাটা বেলা!
ইঁটেরপরে ইঁট, মাঝে মানুষ-কীট
নাইকো ভালোবাসা, নাইকো খেলা

কোথায় আছ তুমি কোথায় মা গো,
কেমনে ভুলে তুই আছিস হাঁগো
উঠিলে নব শশী, ছাদেরপরে বসি
আর কি রূপকথা বলিবি না গো!
হৃদয়বেদনায় শূন্য বিছানায়
বুঝি মা, আঁখিজলে রজনী জাগো,
কুসুম তুলি লয়ে প্রভাতে শিবালয়ে
প্রবাসী তনয়ার কুশল মাগো

হেথাও ওঠে চাঁদ ছাদের পারে,
প্রবেশ মাগে আলো ঘরের দ্বারে
আমারে খুঁজিতে সে ফিরিছে দেশে দেশে,
যেন সে ভালোবেসে চাহে আমারে
নিমেষতরে তাই আপনা ভুলি
ব্যাকুল ছুটে যাই দুয়ার খুলি
অমনি চারি ধারে নয়ন উঁকি মারে,
শাসন ছুটে আসে ঝটিকা তুলি

দেবে না ভালোবাসা, দেবে না আলো
সদাই মনে হয় আঁধার ছায়াময়
দিঘির সেই জল শীতল কালো,
তাহারি কোলে গিয়ে মরণ ভালো
ডাক্ লো ডাক্ তোরা, বল্ লো বল্
বেলা যে পড়ে এল, জলকে চল্
কবে পড়িবে বেলা, ফুরাবে সব খেলা,
নিবাবে সব জ্বালা শীতল জল,

জানিস যদি কেহ আমায় বল্


Comments
0 Comments

No comments:

Blogger Widgets
Powered by Blogger.